4/26/07

very inspirational

I Love Rubber Bands

By Bo Sanchez

Let me tell you a crazy story I heard recently.
There's this husband Who out of sheer love for his
wife decided to prove it to her. So he swam the
widest oceans, crossed the deepest rivers, and
climbed the highest mountains to show his deep
devotion to her.

But in the end, she divorced him.

Why?

Because he was never home. (Get it?)

Let me tell you an experience I had as a kid. One
day, I asked Mom, "Why do my shoes keep eating my
socks?" As a young boy, that was always a mystery
for me. All my other classmates never had that
problem. Their socks remained tight and high up
their legs the entire day.

Mom didn't answer my question but simply gave me
two rubber bands, which I dutifully placed around
the top of my socks. To this day, fifteen years
later, I still have permanent circle marks around my
legs. But aside from giving me this slight defect,
the two bands worked like magic.

It never occurred to me that Dad and Mom didn't
have the money to buy a new pair of socks for me. So
I wore five-year-old socks, all soggy, grayish, and
garter less. And yet amazingly, I never complained.
I believe it was because Dad was always home when I
needed him. Every night, after coming from work,
we'd jog together, sit around, and talk about
Tarzan, Farrah Fawcett Majors, God, and what I
wanted to be when I grew up (a stockholder). On
Saturdays, we'd walk to Cubao, eat a
hotdog-on-a-stick, and buy new rubber bands before
going home.

I've learned that in truth, we don't want our
loved ones to show their love for us in big ways.
Swimming the widest oceans, crossing the deepest
rivers, and climbing the highest mountains seem
pectacular - but that's not what we really want.
Deep in our hearts, we just want them home. With us.

Sometimes, God will operate that way. Suddenly, He
decides not to answer our prayers, or fill our need,
or heal our sickness, or give us the miracle we're
asking for. (He's got reasons why He won't, and
believe me - they're pretty good ones.) So He'll
just be there beside you, holding you in a hug.
Sharing your pain. Weeping as you weep.

Oh, He might give you some rubber bands. And that
small comfort from Him will be more than enough to
sustain you.

Because the most essential truth you already know.

...home.

************

coincidentally, my faith has been kinda rocky these days..

but today, i know God gave me a rubberband. :D

No comments: